Instructions for Colonoscopy Preparation using MoviPrep
PLEASE READ ALL THE INSTRUCTIONS SEVERAL DAYS AHEAD OF TIME SO YOU CAN BE ADEQUATELY PREPARED FOR THIS PROCEDURE.
To ensure your comfort, IV sedation can be given for this exam (to make you relaxed). You must have a responsible companion, family member, or friend, 18 years of age or older escort you to the endoscopy suite, be present during your procedure, be present at the time of your discharge, drive you home, and stay with you for several hours after your procedure. You may not go home alone in a taxi, shuttle van, or bus, as these drivers will not be responsible for you. If you receive sedation, you may not drive until the next day. Please plan to be in our unit approximately 2-3 hour’s total.
1 WEEK PRIOR TO EXAM-Fill your Rx for MoviPrep
SPECIAL MEDICATION INSTRUCTIONS
We recommend you make the following medication changes prior to your procedure:
- Discontinue any medications FIVE days prior to procedure that contain aspirin (Aspirin, Advil, Aleve, Motrin, Ibuprofen, and Alka Seltzer.) Please call our office if you are taking Coumadin, Plavix, Pain or Arthritis medication. PLEASE NOTE TYLENOL IS NOT RESTRICTED.
- Do not take iron pills for 7 days prior to your procedure.
- Continue taking your other prescribed medications (e.g. blood pressure pills) as usual. If you have any questions about your medications, call your prescribing physician.
- DO NOT eat nuts or fruits with seeds five days prior to your procedure.
- Diabetic patients - Please contact your primary physician for diet and medication instructions.
- If you have an internal defibrillator device (AICD), please bring your card to give to the nurse.You will need to know the name brand of your device prior to your procedure.
- Are you pregnant? Bowel cleansing products have not been researched or tested on pregnant women. Please discuss these risks with your OB/GYN.
If you have high blood pressure and are taking medication to monitor this, please look over this list and DO NOT take these medications the NIGHT BEFORE or the MORNING OF SURGERY.
You must complete the entire prep to ensure the most effective cleansing. Purchase one MoviPrep kit from your pharmacist using the enclosed prescription. Please fill your prescription one week prior to your procedure.
One week before your colonoscopy: Fill your prescription for MoviPrep.
Two days before your colonoscopy: Low fiber diet and increase fluids.
One day before your colonoscopy: Begin Clear Liquid Diet: **NO RED OR PURPLE DYES**
Water, Clear broth or bouillon, coffee or tea (no creamer) Gatorade, Propel, Soda, Fruit Juices (no Pulp) Jell-o, popsicles, and hard candies.
PLEASE KEEP YOURSELF HYDRATED by drinking at least 8 glasses of water throughout the day.
No solid food - Clear liquids only for breakfast, lunch & dinner.
Morning: Prepare your MoviPrep solution
- Empty 1 pouch A and 1 pouch B into the disposable container
- Add lukewarm water to the top line of the container. Mix to dissolve. Refrigerate.
- The Moviprep container is divided by four marks. Every 30 minutes, drink the solution down to the next mark (approximately 8 ounces), until the full liter is complete.
- Drink 16 ounces of the clear liquid of your choice. You may start going to the bathroom after only a couple of glasses, but be sure to drink ALL of the solution.
- At 9pm repeat steps 1 - 4
- Continue drinking clear liquids.
- Nothing by mouth after midnight.
Evening: Begin your prep at 5:00pm
TO AVOID NAUSEA:
- CHILL THE PREP
- DRINK THE PREP THROUGH A STRAW
- SIP GINGER ALE IN BETWEEN MARKERS
- SUCK ON ICE CHIPS TO NUMB YOUR TASTEBUDS
NOTE: Oral laxatives may cause mild cramping, bloating, or nausea. Always stay near a bathroom while using the MoviPrep.
If you are scheduled at: McKay Dee Hospital -Enter through the main entrance on the EAST side of the building. Go to the 2nd floor, turn left and go to the endoscopy lab at the end of the hallway. Pre-Registration: 801-442-8600. YOU MUST CALL AND PRE-REGISTER. IF YOU FAIL TO DO SO, YOUR APPOINTMENT WILL BE RESCHEDULED. Also please note, you will be required to present photo ID upon check-in. Additionally, we ask that you do not wear any jewelry to the procedure.
Ogden Regional -Enter through the main entrance and check in with the information desk, you will register with the Hospital and then directed to the Endoscopy lab where you will have your procedure.
Mount Ogden Surgical Center -The day before your procedure, you will be contacted by the surgical center and will receive your arrival time. If you have not been contacted by 3:00pm the day before, Please call the Surgical Center at 479-4470 to receive your arrival time. Mt Ogden Surgical Center is located at 4364 Washington Blvd Ogden, Ut 84404
*** PLEASE NOTE THAT DUE TO A HIGH NUMBER OF CANCELLATIONS, PATIENTS MAY INCUR A FEE OF $100.00 IF THEY CANCEL WITHIN 24 HOURS OF THEIR PROCEDURE OR FAIL TO KEEP THEIR SCHEDULED PROCEDURE.***