EGD Preparation Instructions
Your procedure is at:
- Ridgeline Endoscopy Center-South Ogden: 6028 South Ridgeline Drive, Suite 100. Ridgeline Endoscopy Center will contact you 2 days before your appointment with your arrival time. If you have not heard from Ridgeline within 48 hours of your scheduled date you can reach them at 801-409-1031 to obtain your arrival time.
- McKay Dee Hospital: Take main elevator to 2nd floor, turn left, and go down hall to Suite 2670, Endoscopy Lab. It is McKay policy that your ride is there with you at check in and they need to stay the whole time you are there. Arrive 45 Minutes before your scheduled start time.
- Ogden Regional Medical Center: Go to admitting at the Main Entrance. Arrive 40 minutes early.
- Davis Hospital Medical Center: Enter through door in front on west side of building. Door is marked GI Entrance. Arrive 40 minutes before your scheduled start time.
- Layton Intermountain Hospital: Go through the main entrance and go to registration. Layton Intermountain Hospital will contact you 2-3 days before your appointment with your arrival time.
BLOOD THINNERS AND PATIENTS WITH A HEART VALVE REPLACEMENT, AS SOON AS POSSIBLE:
Call the Physician who prescribed your blood thinner (your primary care doctor or cardiologist) and ASK if you can STOP taking your blood thinning medication(s) (e.g. Coumadin, Plavix, Xarelto, ELIQUIS, Pradaxa, Prasugrel, Brilinta, Cilostazol, Aggrenox.). Many procedures cannot be performed if you are on a blood thinning medication, but you MUST obtain approval from the prescribing physician PRIOR to discontinuing any blood thinners. Your doctor may put you on an alternate medication while you stop your blood thinning medication(s).
THREE DAYS BEFORE PROCEDURE:
Discontinue all blood thinning drugs (prescription and non-prescription), including Coumadin, Plavix, Xarelto , ELIQUIS, Pradaxa, Prasugrel, Brilinta, Cilostazol, Aggrenox. REMEMBER! Your primary care doctor or cardiologist MUST approve this action BEFORE you discontinue these medications when you are taking them for blood thinning.
DAY OF EXAM
NO solid foods today; however you can drink as much water as you need to up to two (2) hours prior to your procedure, but you MUST NOT take anything by mouth after that.
BRING your driver’s license, insurance card, and a list of any prescription and over-the -counter medications you are currently taking with you to your exam. YOU WILL BE SEDATED during your procedure and you will not be allowed to drive for 12 hours after so an ADULT MUST ACCOMPANY you to your appointment to drive you home. If you plan to ride the bus, use “The Ride,” or take the taxi, YOU MUST still have a responsible person over the age of 16 accompany you home.
- A discharge instructions sheet will be provided immediately following your procedure.
- It takes approximately ten (10) days to get biopsy or pathology reports back to our office. You will be notified of the results by a follow- up appointment, letter, or by phone.