GaviLyte Colonoscopy Instructions
Purchase the prep
Optional: You may want to purchase Dramamine since nausea may develop. This is an over-the counter medication and should be taken as directed.
Day before Exam — Clear liquid diet only
Step 1 — Early in the Day
- Prepare solution according to package directions.
- Mix to dissolve.
- Most people agree that bowel preps taste better if chilled. We suggest putting the mixed GaviLyte solution in the refrigerator.
- The reconstituted solution should be used within 24 hours.
Step 2 - Beginning at 5:00 PM
- Start drinking the first 12 glasses of the prep. A good pace is an 8 oz. glass every 15-20 minutes
- You may drink only water after you have started the prep
- You may rinse your mouth with water or mouthwash after drinking.
- You can suck on hard candy or lollipops (no red or purple).
Beginning at 10:00 PM or 6 - 8 hours before your appointment
Finish the remainder of the prep, drinking an 8 oz glass every 15-20 minutes. The split dosage is important because it results in optimal clearing of the colon.
The prep will not keep you hydrated. You should continue drinking clear liquids until you start the prep and then only water. you must complete all of the prep. Your results should be light yellow to clear. If you have any questions after reading these instructions even after hours, please call Utah Digestive Health Institute at 801-475-5400 and someone will return your call.
Refer to your physician’s colonoscopy instructions on our website at Ridgeline Endoscopy Center for additional information.